High in protein and high in flavor, these toddler- and kid-friendly chocolate chip chickpea bites are a snack the whole family will love.
With Anna in camp this summer, I’ve been trying to find healthy snacks to pack for her each day. Last week, she chose blueberry mini muffins (which she continues to ask about) and finished the batch in 4 days. We moved onto blender muffins (I even made a double batch!) and everyone devoured them in 3 days flat, so they didn’t even make it to the week’s end.
THIS week it’s all about the chocolate chip chickpea bites. I made these a ton last year and Anna would devour them every time. Mostly because they have chocolate chips in them but also because they are little and round and she can pop them into her mouth. Thankfully these make a bigger batch and have managed to last more than 2 days with everyone eating them.
I love making these for a few reasons:
- They are super easy to make. All of the ingredients get dumped into the blender and after a few minutes are ready to be rolled into balls.
- They are made with ingredients we always have on hand.
- They contain chickpeas! And they taste delicious.
- Every single person in the house eats them.
- They are toddler friendly — to eat and make.
- They are easy to pack and take along.
- They are super filling.
- They contain a decent amount of protein without having to add in protein powder.
I’m excited to dig into my recipe archives for more variations, including chocolate peanut butter chickpea bites and cinnamon chickpea bites. I also came across a recipe on Pinterest for chocolate black bean bites and am really excited for those.
How To Make Chocolate Chip Chickpea Bites
- Rimmed baking sheet*
- Blender or Food Processor*
- Measuring cups*
- Cooking spray (optional)
- Wooden spoon
- Parchment paper (or wax paper)
*This is an affiliate link. I make a small commission at no cost to you if you purchase it through the link.
Chocolate Chip Chickpea Bites
- 1 (15-oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2/3 cup nut butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 cups rolled oats, ground into flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper and set aside.
- Place chickpeas, nut butter, and honey into a blender and pulse until smooth.
- Add in oat flour, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla extract and blend until the mixture forms a ball. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and fold in chocolate chips.
- Scoop up 1 tbs of mixture and roll into a ball. Place on parchment lined baking sheet and repeat the process until the mixture is gone. (If mixture is a bit sticky, place a drop or two or water on your hands and get them damp. Too wet, and the mixture will turn to slime.)
- Refrigerate for 30-60 minutes before transferring to a lidded container for storage. Will keep in the refrigerator for about 1 week.