A fun twist on Rice Krispie Treats, these Rice Chex Treats are crunchy AND chewy, sweet, and 100% satisfying. Kids of all ages are sure to enjoy these.
There are few things that make me more annoyed than wasting food. It’s like throwing away money to me. Which kind of sucks, because having a picky eater for a child and a husband who doesn’t love leftovers means there is the potential for a LOT of food waste. So when Anna told me that she was over her Rice Chex obsession 1/8th of the way into a huge box of it, I almost lost my cool.
Thank God for Pinterest is all I have to say.
Of all the recipes that we came across (and there were many) the one that stood out as the easiest and the one that did not require us to purchase any additional food were Chewy Chex Bars made with marshmallows and chocolate chips — all things we had on hand. And all things Anna wanted to shovel into her mouth ASAP.
The bars are crunchy AND chewy, sweet, and 100% satisfying.
The only thing I would do differently next time is add a few more marshmallows to hold it all together and be more Rice Krispie Treat-like. But that’s more for texture and stickiness (and nostalgia), since they are perfectly delicious as is.
How To Make Rice Chex Treats
- 9×13 glass baking dish*
- Cooking Spray
- Large mixing bowl*
- Large saucepan
- Wooden spoon
- Earth Balance (or butter)
- Mini marshmallows
- Rice Chex
- Chocolate chips (we used these*)
*This is an affiliate link. I make a small commission at no cost to you if you purchase it through the link.
Rice Chex Treats
- 4 tbs (vegan) butter*
- 6 cups mini marshmallows
- 8 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 2 mini mini chocolate chips
- cooking spray
- Spray 9×13 inch glass dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-low heat until all of the butter has melted. Be careful not to burn it. Add in marshmallows and mix them into the butter. Heat over medium-low heat until the marshmallows are melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine Rice Chex, chocolate chips, and melted marshmallows and stir until everything is evenly coated.
- Transfer mixture to your glass baking dish and press evenly so that you have a 1/2 inch thick layer covering the entire baking dish. It helps to spray your hands with a light coating of cooking spray so that it doesn’t stick to your fingers.
- Let cool 10 minutes before serving. If you want to speed it up (and make it easier to cut), I recommend popping it into the refrigerator.