This basic recipe for Instant Pot shredded chicken is as easy as it is delicious. Enjoy it plain or use it as the base for something else, this is sure to be a staple in your fridge and meal prep repertoire.
One of my favorite things to make in the Instant Pot* is shredded chicken. Actually, it’s any kind of chicken because I can throw it into the Instant Pot without having to defrost it first and it comes out perfect every single time.
I also love the chicken broth that’s leftover from each batch of chicken I make in the Instant Pot. It’s seriously the most flavorful broth there is. Sometimes, I even make a batch of shredded chicken just so I can have the broth. It’s that good.
Some notes about making chicken in the Instant Pot:
- Cooking time on chicken in the Instant Pot is 6-8 minutes per pound for fresh chicken and 10-12 minutes per pound for frozen chicken.
- The metal trivet is optional to use, it just makes getting it out of the Instant Pot much easier.
- Get yourself a good meat thermometer*. It’s worth its weight in gold when it comes to cooking any kind of food, but especially chicken. I’ve had some unfortunate incidents where the chicken has been raw and a meat thermometer has saved me a LOT of trouble (and sickness).
Are you an Instant Pot fan? What’s your favorite way to make chicken?
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- 1 Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- 2 chicken breasts fresh or frozen
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Place metal trivet in the bottom of your instant pot and add your chicken and water. Sprinkle with salt (to taste).
- Close the lid and, using pressure cooker setting, set timer for 12 minutes for fresh and 16 minutes for frozen chicken. If using frozen chicken, allow to sit for 10 minutes to release pressure naturally. Internal temperature should be 165°F/74°C or above when fully cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the instant pot and shred using two forks, a stand mixer, or a hand mixer. Reserve the broth for another use (I store mine in mason jars and freeze)!