Crayon Lip Gloss
From the minute I discovered Crayon Lipstick over on Pinterest, I knew this was going to be our first craft project for The 100 Day Project. Anna is obsessed with lipstick — and make-up in general — so I had a feeling this would be a big hit. We also have a large basket full of crayons that provided ample inspiration for color choices.
From start to finish, this project was a lot of fun for us. We spent hours going through our crayon basket choosing colors. We would pick them out and read the names out loud, then color them on a piece of paper and ooh and ahhh over which ones we loved. I kept our favorites in an old yogurt pot so that we knew what we were working with.
The day of, I had Anna choose 4 of her favorite colors and got our lip gloss pots ready to go. I also chose 4 colors for my pots, giving us a great selection of colors and intensities to choose from. Next batch, I am excited to try some more “wild” colors like purple and brown, and also mixing colors together to get new ones.
The actual process of making the lip balm took about 30 minutes total, leaving us with 8 small pots of lip gloss in our hot little hands at the end. I think the best part of it all was trying on the colors together at the end. We got to squeal, giggle, and pout in the mirror together while trying on all 8 colors.
How To Make Crayon Lip Gloss
- Crayola Crayons* (or other brand that is non toxic)
- Coconut Oil
- Glass Jar or Bowl
- Small Saucepan with about an inch of water
- Tongs (optional)
- Tea Towel
- Paper Towels
- Sharp Knife (for grown-up’s only)
- Containers for your lip gloss (we used these*)
*This is an affiliate link. I make a small commission at no cost to you if you purchase it through the link.
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4-1/2 inch chunk of crayon (peeled)
- Fill a small saucepan with about an inch of water and heat over low heat.
- Place coconut oil and crayon chunk in glass jar or bowl and set gently into your saucepan. Allow to melt completely; should take around 2-3 minutes.
- Once melted, use tongs (or your hands if it’s cool enough) and grab jar. Swirl gently so that the color mixes with the oil.
- Carefully pour into your container and allow to cool completely. Takes about 10-15 minutes to harden.
- Swipe your finger across the top and apply liberally to your lips!
Take a paper towel and wipe out the glass jar or bowl. It’s best to do this while the jar is still warm because it comes out easily. It will be much harder to get it out once it hardens. Once the jar has been wiped out, it is ready to use for your next batch!
Note: this amount of crayon will leave you with more of a tinted lip gloss, which is perfect for kiddos in my book. If you want to have a more pigmented color, up the crayon size to 1 inch per 1/2 tsp of coconut oil.
If you try out one of our projects for yourself, please send us a picture or a trackback! Anna and I LOVE seeing what other people get up to! If you use Instagram please use the hashtag #madewithlev. Happy Crafting!