When the weather drops and/or you’re craving soup, nothing satisfies quite like chicken and rice soup. Ready in 30 minutes (or less), you’ll definitely want to make this one again and again.
With colder weather approaching, it is one thousand percent soup weather.
Homemade chicken soup happens to be one of my all-time favorites. There is something so comforting to me about the process of making it; a large stock pot filled with water, a whole chicken, some celery, carrots, and onions or leeks, and a few cloves of garlic on the stove for a few hours. The smells that emanate from the kitchen are intoxicating and there is something really grounding for me about pulling apart the chicken once it’s cooked.
And don’t even get me started on that first warm bowl of soup for the season. It is truly heaven on earth.
With that being said, when I’m in the mood for a quicker soup, this chicken and rice soup made with chicken breasts is an excellent choice. It’s flavorful, warming, and best of all, it’s QUICK.
So the next time the weather drops and/or you’re craving soup, reach for this one. You’ll have a satisfying bowl of soup in your hands in under 30 minutes, with plenty of leftovers to freeze or enjoy later.
Chicken and Rice Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 stalks celery chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup chopped leeks or onions
- 1/2 tsp garlic minced (1 clove)
- 8-10 cups of water
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 2 chicken breasts or 1 large
- 3/4 cups uncooked rice
- optional: green onions for garnishing
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add in celery and leeks and sauté for 5 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add in garlic and sauté for another minute more.
- Add in water, salt, and chicken and bring to a boil. Add in rice and reduce heat to low, allowing the rice to simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is fully cooked.
- Remove chicken from the pot and shred. Return to the soup and adjust seasoning (salt!) to taste.
- Garnish with green onions of you like it like that.
Looking for more chicken recipes? You can find them here.