This Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup is rich and creamy (without dairy!) and is an absolute delight. Enjoy some now or freeze it for later, this is definitely a great one to have on hand for when a soup craving strikes.
It’s soup weather, it’s soup weather, it’s sooooouuuuup weather!
And that means I get to put at least one soup on the menu each week. (Any more than that and my family revolts.)
One of my favorite soups to make (besides chicken soup, of course) is a butternut squash soup. I love how rich and creamy it is and the beautiful orange color is just so warm and inviting. It truly screams fall to me. Also, any soup that includes apples and apple cider is a winner in my book. I love pairing a bowl of this instant pot butternut squash soup with some multigrain bread or fresh baked croutons. Even my husband, WHO HATES SOUP FOR DINNER, loves it.
If you’ve been wanting to try out more recipes in the Instant Pot*, this one is a great place to start. It also freezes well, so it’s a great one to make and stash in the freezer for whenever the mood strikes.
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 small onion or leek chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp (1 clove) garlic minced
- 1 apple peeled thickly, cored, and chopped into small chunks
- 4 cups butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth or water
- 1/2 tsp salt or more to taste depending on your broth/water situation
- optional: chopped green onions for garnish
- Turn InstantPot to the sauté setting and add in leeks and oil. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until leeks are bright green and fragrant.
- Add in garlic, apple, and butternut squash. Sauté for another 3-5 minutes before turning the InstantPot off.
- Pour in broth and add 1/2 tsp salt to the pot and then turn to pressure cook. Set timer for 15 minutes and cover with lid. Once the cook time is over, use the quick valve to release the pressure.
- Using an immersion (stick) blender, puree the soup until uniformly smooth. Garnish with green onions (if using) and serve hot!
PS: looking for more soup recipes? You can find them here.